Keeping relationships strong and keeping families together when someone comes out is one of PFLAG NYC’s most important activities. PFLAG NYC helps parents when they find out that a child is lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT). Brothers, sisters, and other family members also find information and advice through PFLAG NYC that helps them better understand and strengthen relationships with LGBT loved ones.
Just as important as serving the families and friends of LGBT people is helping LGBT individuals directly when they experience difficulties coming out and finding acceptance from their families. Coming out is a process that is liberating but also difficult. At PFLAG NYC, we understand the journey that LGBT people go through as they accept themselves and come out to others. We offer support, advice, and unconditional love through that journey.
Get support from PFLAG NYC now through:
- Regular Support Group Meetings
- TransFamilies Project - a dedicated group for parents of transgender children
- Stepping Stones - a parents group and simultaneous playgroup for younger children who are gender non-conforming or gender-creative
- API Rainbow Parents - support and information for Asian & Pacific Islander (API) individuals and their families with particular cultural and linguistic needs
- Helpline via Telephone & Email
- Online Resources