Bring Us to Your School
The Safe Schools Program of PFLAG NYC brings trained community speakers into schools to help create a learning and social environment that is free of harassment and that provides safety, dignity, and respect for all students, including those who are LGBTQ+. Our speakers come from all backgrounds and include family members as well as LGBTQ+ adults and young people. All of our speakers bring a family perspective and personal stories in order to help teach about sexual orientation and gender identity and how to make the school environment safe and encouraging for all.
PFLAG NYC’s Safe Schools speaking programs are an effective tool to:
- Dispel myths and raise awareness about issues of sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Encourage straight students, faculty, and parents to be allies to LGBTQ+ students and their families.
- Combat harassment and bullying and talk about civil rights and equality.
- Train faculty and staff to understand and approach LGBTQ+ issues respectfully and accurately.
- Give parents information about the physical and emotional health and well-being of students, so they can better understand LGBTQ+ issues as they may relate to the developing sexuality of their children and their children’s friends and peers.
- Help LGBTQ+ students find support in thinking about coming out to their parents, teachers, peers, and others, and encourage students to be themselves.
Safe Schools Program events are lively, engaging, and promote tolerance and acceptance in an accessible way. In a typical program, one or more speakers tell their personal stories about their real-life experiences — for example, about how someone close to them came out, about being the parent of a LGBTQ+ child, about struggling with their identity and their own coming out, or about finding support in the community around them. Our school events can be tailored to address a variety of important issues in your school, such as personal growth, community leadership, or becoming an ally.
Let us work with you!
If you would like information on bringing the PFLAG NYC Safe Schools Program to your school, send an email to email@example.com and one of our Safe Schools team will get in touch with you.