At PFLAG NYC, personal stories and storytelling are at the heart of everything we do, from providing support, offering education in schools and the community, and making change through activism. As soon as we saw an advance copy of Trans New York, we saw that this was a project that contributed much to awareness and understanding by making trans lives and the stories of transgender individuals visible and tangible to a wider audience.
Join us online on Thursday, June 18, at 8:00 p.m. for a virtual book launch featuring a panel discussion featuring the creator of Trans New York along with several individuals whose portraits appear.
Award-winning photographer Peter Bussian has spent more than twenty years working in developing countries collaborating with local artists and capturing images that tell remarkable stories. With the Trans New York project, he returned to New York City and brought his visual storytelling to his home town. Featuring portraits of more than 50 New Yorkers who identify as trans, genderqueer, or gender nonbinary, the book also provides revelatory interviews and essays that capture the experience of transition and combat common misconceptions and stereotypes.
Participants in the panel discussion will be:
- Peter Bussian – Photographer of Trans New York
- Abby Chava Stein – Author & activist and author of the book foreword
- Jevon Martin – Founder & CEO, Princess Janae Place, New York’s first community-based housing organization led by, and for, people of trans experience
- Pooya Mohseni – Iranian-American actor, writer, filmmaker, and transgender educator
- Clark Hamel – Program Coordinator at PFLAG NYC as moderator
Get the book now at: