Support for Asian & Pacific Islander LGBT People and Their Families
API Rainbow Parents provides information and support to Asian-Pacific Islander (API) families with a family member who is lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT). The group is open to parents, other relatives and family members, and friends, as well as to LGBT people themselves. API Rainbow Parents helps families in the same way as PFLAG NYC’s other regular support groups, but has a special focus on meeting the cultural and language needs of API families.
Resources in Asian Languages
- English: Family Is Still Family. Love Is Still Love.
- Chinese (Simplified): 家依旧… 爱依然…
- Chinese (Traditional): 家依舊… 愛依然…
- Japanese: 家族は家族。愛は愛。
- Korean: 가족이라는것도, 사랑한다는것도변하지않습니다.
- Tagalog: Ang Pamilya ay Pamilya Pa Rin…
- Vietnamese: Gia đình Vẫn là Gia đình…
- Bengali: পরিবারশতহলেওপরিবার…
- Hindi: परिवार कभी पराया नहीं होता…
- Arabic: الأسرة تبقى أسرة
From the Family Acceptance Project
From PFLAG Northern California Chinese Chapter
More helpful information in multiple Asian languages is available from PFLAG Brisbane.
If you are an Asian or Pacific Islander lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender person, or a parent of one, and if thoughts like these ever cross your mind…
- I am hesitant to come out and I do not know what to do
- I do not know anything about sexual orientation or gender identity
- I have difficulty discussing sensitive issues because of limited language skills
- I have been raised with conflicting cultural or religious views on sexual orientation or gender identity
- I would like to find supportive and affirming religious organizations or clergy
Please get in touch with API Rainbow Parents. You will connect with other Asian-Pacific Islander LGBT individuals and supportive API parents. We welcome both LGBT individuals and parents, as well as other relatives and extended family.
You can connect with our support resources by email or phone and get help directly from a sensitive parent or outreach volunteer. We can help in different Asian languages and English, so reach out to us however you are comfortable. All contact with API Rainbow Parents is confidential, so you can contact us in confidence at: