Families & Friends
PFLAG NYC is here to support you
Helping families stay close and keep relationships strong when someone comes out is PFLAG NYC’s most important activity and central to everything we do. PFLAG NYC helps parents when they find out that a child is lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer (LGBTQ+). Siblings, grandparents, and other family members also find information and advice through PFLAG NYC that helps them better understand and strengthen relationships with LGBTQ+ loved ones.
Just as important as serving the families and friends of LGBTQ+ people is helping LGBTQ+ individuals directly when they experience challenges coming out and finding acceptance from their families. Coming out is a process that is liberating but can also difficult. At PFLAG NYC, we understand the journey that LGBTQ+ people go through as they accept themselves and come out to others. We offer support, advice, and unconditional love through that journey.
Support Group Meetings
- General Support Meetings are open to all and cover all aspects of having a loved one who is lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer.
- TransFamilies Project meetings are for families with transgender, non-binary, and gender non-conforming children and loved ones of all ages.
- Dads Group provides a space for dads to connect with other dads around the topic of their child’s and their family’s coming out process across the range of LGBTQ+ identities. All dads and caregivers in a father-like role are welcome to join.
- Partners Group This group is dedicated to the needs of partners and transitioning partners who are transgender or non-binary people.
- API Rainbow Parents provides support for LGBTQ+ individuals and families of Asian-Pacific Islander heritage, addressing language and culture-specific needs of API communities.
- Black Family Circle is a proud space for individuals who identify as Black, and have LGBTQ+ loved ones, to find community and support.
- SOGI (Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity)Tweens Group is a support group for parents/caregivers and supportive friends or family members of LGBTQIA+ young people entering/in early adolescence – roughly aged 9-15 (with some flexibility).
- The Neurodiversity & Gender Diversity Meeting is a group for parents of kids, teens, and folx who live at the intersection of Trans-ness and Neurodivergence (ASD, ADHD, PDA, ODD/DMDD, Bipolar, Anxiety/Depressive disorders, etc).
- El Amor Hace la Familia – Apoyo bilingüe provisto principalmente en español para familias latinas y personas LBGTQ / Bilingual support provided primarily in Spanish for Latino families and LBGTQ+ people.